AIDS is one of the leading causes of death
among Americans aged 25 to 44. By learning the facts about HIV (the virus that
causes AIDS) and acting on them, we can protect ourselves and others.
Basic HIV/AIDS Education Program
Red Cross trained instructors can conduct sessions
of the Basic HIV/AIDS Program providing the opportunity to openly discuss the facts
about HIV and AIDS. It is a good way to encourage people to adopt prevention behaviors
to protect themselves and others from HIV.
American Red Cross instructors use a variety
of learning techniques that are designed to help people:
- Become aware of HIV transmission and prevention.
- Gain accurate knowledge of HIV and AIDS facts.
- Personalize the facts so that they become more meaningful.
- Develop feelings supportive of prevention behavior.
- Develop prevention skills.
- Strengthen the intention to perform prevention behavior.