PERSONAL WORKPLACE DISASTER SUPPLIES KIT
For the workplace, where you might be confined for several hours, or perhaps overnight, the following supplies are recommended.
More information is at: www.redcross.org/services/disaster/beprepared.
Flashlight with extra batteries
Use the flashlight to find your way if the power is out. Do not use candles or any other open flame for emergency lighting.
News about the emergency may change rapidly as events unfold. You also will be concerned about family and friends in the area. Radio reports will give information about the areas most affected.
Enough non-perishable food to sustain you for at least one day (three meals), is suggested. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking, and little or no water. The following items are suggested:
- Ready-to-eat canned meals, meats, fruits, and vegetables.
- Canned juices.
- High-energy foods (granola bars, energy bars, etc.).
Keep at least one gallon of water available, or more if you are on medications that require water or that increase thirst. Store water in plastic containers such as soft drink bottles. Avoid using containers that will decompose or break, such as milk cartons or glass bottles.
Include usual non-prescription medications that you take, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, etc.
If you use prescription medications, keep at least three-day's supply of these medications at your workplace. Consult with your physician or pharmacist how these medications should be stored, and your employer about storage concerns.
First Aid Supplies
If your employer does not provide first aid supplies, have the following essentials:
- (20) adhesive bandages, various sizes.
- (1) 5" x 9" sterile dressing.
- (1) conforming roller gauze bandage.
- (2) triangular bandages.
- (2) 3 x 3 sterile gauze pads.
- (2) 4 x 4 sterile gauze pads.
- (1) roll 3" cohesive bandage.
- (2) germicidal hand wipes or waterless alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- (6) antiseptic wipes.
- (2) pair large medical grade non-latex gloves
- Adhesive tape, 2" width.
- Anti-bacterial ointment.
- Cold pack.
- Scissors (small, personal).
- CPR breathing barrier, such as a face shield
Tools and Supplies
- Emergency "space" blanket (mylar).
- Paper plates and cups, plastic utensils
- Non-electric can opener.
- Personal hygiene items, including a toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, brush, soap, contact lens supplies, and feminine supplies.
- Plastic garbage bags, ties (for personal sanitation uses) .
- Include at least one complete change of clothing and footwear, including a long sleeved shirt and long pants, as well as closed-toed shoes or boots.
- If you wear glasses, keep an extra pair with your workplace disaster supplies.
- Your kit should be adjusted based on your own personal needs.
- Do not include candles, weapons, toxic chemicals, or controlled drugs unless prescribed by a physician.